Monday, August 25, 2008

Greetings from Down Under!

Just checking in with my viewers (if any) about my time in Australia so far.  It took me about 2 days to get adjusted to the time difference over here (roughly 17 hours ahead in the future).  
It's somewhat of a twilight zone effect here with certain things - things that your are used to seeing are there, but slightly difference (e.g., Rice Krispies are Rice Bubbles; Burger King is Hungry Jacks; Liquor Stores are Bottle Shops).

I'm really enjoying my stay here in Brisbane.  Yesterday I went on an awesome self-guided walking tour of downtown suggested by my tour book.  It's funny, people walk on the "other side" of the sidewalk - I believe it's because they drive on the left side of the road.  I had a handful of walking miscommunication experiences during my tour.  

It's awesome (aawh-soume) to see Sam and Carly.  I totally picked up on Sam's Aussie accent!

Fun Quick Aussie things:

  • Everyone says "cheers" instead of "thank you" or "see you"
  • A gatorade plus a candy bar cost me $6.60 at the "Quickie Mart"  WTF?
  • You go the the "toilet" not the "bathroom"
  • Meat pies are a local treat
  • "Dodgy" is a popular slang for "shady"
  • Kangaroo meat is not that popular to eat...it's commonly feed to dogs

Why no pictures?  I've got heaps to upload once I get back to the states.  In the meantime, I've set up a photo blog through my iPhone here.  Check it out for 2 mps of random fun!

Cheers!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to indulge in some Aussie/British candy. I suggest Picnic (deliciously ugly...i believe is the slogan, or something like that), Aero, Violet Crunch, Flake...mmmm...cadbury chocolate.

Also, get some Berocca for those difficult mornings after a long night of drinking. I suggest the orange...and BRING SOME BACK! It's a miracle cure!

Gary said...

haha, will do. I've tried flake - I'm a big fan.

I forgot to ask you about your time in Australia. Do you recommend any places to check out in Sydney? I'll be there starting this coming Monday.

heyroth said...

Sydney zoo is prety awesome. Try and sample some of the raw oysters. Some of the best oysters i had were in Sydney.

They have really good lamb out there so take advantage of that, and some charcoal chicken if you get the chance..

Gary said...

good times! BTW, sorry about the grammatical errors.